Petrossian, the renowned purveyor of gourmet foods, including caviar, smoked fish, foie gras and other pâtés, cheeses, chocolates and candies, teas, coffees and jams and baked goods also runs one of the few exceptional restaurants in the immediate vicinity of Carnegie Hall, housed in the historic Alwyn Court Building.
Petrossian is the premier buyer and importer of Russian caviar worldwide (it was founded by two Armenian brothers in the 1920s who were responsible for introducing Paris to caviar), so it makes sense that the restaurant would make ample synergistic use of the adjacent store’s delicacies and first-rate suppliers. Thus, the menu offers exquisite items such as a Seared Sterling White Sturgeon, which is smothered in caviar buerre blanc and the Petrossian Tasting, which includes a foie gras terrine, a salmon and caviar beggar’s purse, transmontanus caviar on a mini blini, and tarama on a brioche. We recommend that you order unaccompanied caviar on at least one of your visits and wash it down with icy cold vodka or one of the three dozen champagnes available on the wine list.
The setting is appropriately grand: a flawless Art Deco reproduction of etched Erte mirrors, Lalique crystal wall sconces, bronze sculptures from the 1930s, marble and granite, Limoges china and a gorgeous Lanvin chandelier dangling above it all. The service is excellent and the wine list appropriately calibrated to the restaurant’s focus. This is a restaurant of immense class and style to which connoisseurs of the good life can repair to indulge in some of the finest luxuries available.
182 W. 58th St.
New York (nr. Seventh Ave.)
212-245-2214 Sun-Thu, 11:30am-3pm, 5pm-11pm; Fri-Sat, 11:30am-3pm, 5:30pm-11pm
- German Calle, Chef
RECOMMENDED DISHES See All
- Our Premier Smoked Salmon - Served with Toast Points, Crème Fraiche and Fresh Dill
- Petrossian Tasting - Foie Gras Terrine, Salmon & Caviar Beggar’s Purse, Transmontanus Caviar on Mini Blini, Tarama on Brioche
- Petrossian Foie Gras Salad - Haricots Vert, Green Apple, Walnuts, Frisée
- Seared West Coast Sturgeon - White asparagus, Parmesean and Herb Gnocchi, Caviar Beurre Blanc
- Dover Sole Meuniere - Green Asparagus, Saffron Potatoes, Lemon Caper Brown Butter Sauce, With Caviar Transmontanus USA
- Seared Long Island Duck Breast - Black Truffle Celeriac Puree, Green Beans Almondine, Pumpkin Mostarda, Port Fig Sauce