The origin of Palm says much about its ensuing history and its longstanding cultivation of regulars, many of whom are now immortalized in caricatures on the restaurant's walls. It has been owned and operated for 85 years by the Bozzi and Ganzi families (the steakhouse has Italian shades), and the mantra is to treat guests with familial hospitality. Hilariously, the restaurant was meant to be called Parma, after John Ganzi and Pio Bozzi's hometown, but a New York City clerk misunderstood their thick Italian accents, thus christening a restaurant that would ultimately expand to 28 locations in three countries.
Palm has always maintained an atmosphere of old New York, with a vibrant bar scene, live piano and bathroom attendants. The well-known murals of regulars, celebrities, politicians, sports and media figures also hearken back to an earlier time. The restaurant didn't originally serve steaks – customers started requesting them – but Palm is now known primarily as a steakhouse. It serves aged USDA prime meat, most famously the one-pound cut New York strip, aged for 21 days and perfectly charred. There are also broiled jumbo Nova Scotia lobsters and a number of worthy side dishes. The original location on Second Avenue, with its sawdust floor and cacophonous dining room, is still the best.
837 Second Ave.
New York (nr. 45th St.)
(212) 687-2953 Mon, noon-10pm; Tues-Fri, noon-10:30pm; Sat, 5pm-10:30pm
840 Second Avenue
(212) 697-5198 Mon, noon-10pm; Tues-Fri, noon-10:30pm; Sat, 5pm-10:30pm; Sun, 5pm-10pm
206 West Street
(646) 395-6393 Mon-Fri, 11:30am-11pm; Sat, 5pm-11pm; Sun, 5pm-10pm
250 West 50th Street
(212) 333-7256 Mon-Sat, 11:45am-11pm; Sun, 4:45pm-10pm
- Best Bars
- Private Dining Room Palm One - Private Dining Room: 35 seated Palm Too - Private Dining Room: 45 seated Palm West - Boardroom: 18 seated Palm West - Private Dining Room 1: 21 seated Palm West - Private Dining Room 2: 35 seated Palm West - Private Dining Room 3: 28 seated Palm TriBeCa - Boardroom: 20 seated Palm TriBeCa - Warren Room: 40 seated Palm TriBeCa - Chambers Room: 60 seated Palm TriBeCa - The West Room: 100 seated