North End Grill
The newest restaurant in Danny Meyer's infallible Union Square Hospitality Group is located in an unusual spot: Battery Park City. Unusual both because the neighborhood has historically been bereft of fine dining and because Danny Meyer's empire was once targeted at, well, Union Square. But perhaps the choice is not so unusual after all: Meyer got three ground-floor locations in The Conrad Hotel as part of the deal (the others being a Shake Shack and a Blue Smoke), the neighborhood is poised for revitalization as the nearby World Trade Center nears completion and the whales of Goldman Sachs lurk just around the corner, ready to be lured by the bait of over 100 different selections at the scotch bar.
Past the bar, the spacious interior includes a dining counter set in front of the open kitchen, a raw bar and pastry station, and an urban barnyard-inspired black-and-white dining room that overlooks the Hudson River. Light streams in at lunchtime, and at night it is adroitly lit by pod-like apparatuses hanging from the ceiling.
North End Grill is Meyer's take on a contemporary American bar and grill, with a market-driven, seafood-centric menu. The most striking aspect of the cuisine at North End Grill is how brilliantly, and subtly, it is spiced. Much of it is coated with a thin Indian veneer, which is not surprising given that the kitchen is manned by Floyd Cardoz, a native of Bombay and the former chef at Tabla before going on to win Season 3 of Top Chef. This is particular apparent in dishes like a perfectly cooked, deftly spiced halibut with carrot risotto, green raisins and pinenuts, a Elysian Fields lamb loin in an Indian apricot jus or the hashed Brussels sprouts and lentils. The grilled clam pizza with chili flakes has received much acclaim, and rightly so. And there is an entire section of the menu devoted to egg dishes, of which the coddled egg with lobster, bacon and grits is an essential order.
104 North End Ave.
New York (nr. Vesey St.)
646-747-1600 Mon-Thurs, 11am-2pm, 5:30pm-10pm, Fri-Sat, 11am-2pm, 5:30pm-11pm, Sun, 11am-2pm, 5:30pm-9pm
RECOMMENDED DISHES See All
- Grilled Clam Pizza with Chili Flakes
- Coddled Egg with Lobster, Bacon and Grits
- Grilled Sea Bream - with Salsa Verde, Cabbage and Bacon
- Ashley Farms Whole Roasted Chicken
- Bacon-Shrimp Burger - with Spice-Dusted Fries
- Mangalitsa Pork Sandwich
- Thrice-Fried Spiced Fries
- Truffled Mashed Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy
- Butterscotch Pot de Crème - with Chocolate Streusel and "Single Maltmallows"
- Escarole, Endive and Radicchio - with Walnut, Pomegranate and Orange Vinaigrette
- Nova Scotia Halibut - with Carrot Risotto, Green Raisins and Pinenuts
- Chicken Burger - with Pickled Cucumbers
- Elysian Fields Lamb Loin - with Baby Carrots, Turnips and Indian Apricot Jus
- Hashed Brussels Sprouts and Lentils