The smaller dining room of Ming Court swirls around an intimate inner nucleus, with concentric circles radiating out from it. These sections are divided by glass shelves populated with replicas of Ming Dynasty pottery, creating both a feeling of expansiveness and privacy. There is also a larger banquet hall connected through a glass wine cellar portal. It is a far more modern design than most of the upscale Cantonese restaurants in the city, with an intricately carved center column, marble and dark wood, sleek lighting and ink landscape paintings.
Our view of the contemporary Cantonese cuisine was ultimately mixed: some dishes reach ecstatic highs, while others fail to truly succeed. The dragon quartet contains a superb pu-er smoked fish and a bean curd sheet roll filled with peanut butter, a brilliant and surely unique juxtaposition. The minced shrimp and chicken thigh duet comes with a pan seared and a sautéed version, mixed with black truffle and buttery pumpkin and homemade chicken liver pate and rice crisp, respectively. The sauce is vaguely Thai-Malaysian, offering an unexpected counterpoint. This dish is similar to one of Ming Court’s signature dishes that is an invariable hit: the pan-fried chicken skin filled with minced chicken and black truffles and accompanied with stir-fried pumpkin.
The cuisine tends to be much more formally and creatively presented than at most other upscale Cantonese restaurants across the city. Wine is also a more important focus here, and the tasting menu often comes with a complimentary paired glass. It’s also worth noting that, despite a handful of minor missteps, the service is incredibly friendly and gracious.
555 Shanghai Street, Mongkok, Kowloon
+852 3552-3300 Mon-Sun, 11am-2:30pm, 6pm-10:30pm
- Hong Kong
- Dim Sum
- Best Brunch
- Best Decor
- Best Wine Lists
- BYOB Corkage Fee: $500
- Private Dining Room 5 Private Dining Rooms: 12-240
- Michelin Guide : ★ (2015) Review History...
RECOMMENDED DISHES See All
- Dragon Quartet: Scallop, Prawn, Sea Urchin, Black Caviar; Pu-Er Smoked Fish; Osmanthus-Scented Foie Gras, Lotus Root; Bean Curd Sheet Roll, Assorted Greens, Peanut Butter
- Iranian Caviar on Lobster and Sea Urchin Sauce, on stir fried Egg White
- Gold On Gold: Gold Caviar, Golden Sea Urchin, Lobster, Silky Egg White
- Crispy lobster, cheese, vinegared abalone, angel hair
- Deep-fried foie gras and beancurd wrapped with angel hair
- Minced Shrimp and Chicken Thigh Duet: Chicken Thigh, Minced Shrimp, Black Truffle, Buttery Pumpkin, Pan Seared; Chicken Thigh, Minced Shrimp, Homemade Chicken Liver Pate, Rice Crisp, Sautéed
- Pan-seared chicken, water chestnuts, bold black truffle, buttery, plump pumpkin (松露金縷衣)
- Stir-fried diced wagyu beef with black truffles and pumpkin (黑松露南瓜和牛粒 )
- Roasted Suckling Pig
- Chiu-chow style roasted goose with plum sauce
- Mango, Pomelo, Coconut, Sago Cream