The most striking thing about L’Altro is its ultramodern, sleek, monochromatic dining room. Outfitted in an icy palette of marble, chrome, steel and Murano glass with fabric wallcoverings, it is a very stylish and understated design that focuses full attention on the French-influenced (in both technique and presentation) Italian cuisine. The chef, Philippe Levielle, has an unimpeachable pedigree: his restaurant in Brescia, Italy, Miramonti L’Altro, has received critical acclaim and two Michelin stars since 2001.
We found the cuisine at L’Altro to be outstanding, meriting much more attention than seems to be the case. Hokkaido sea scallops served in white sauce with white truffle foam were perfectly cooked and insanely decadent. It was an unimprovable dish, reflecting Levielle’s stated style of being “greedy, buttered, generous and never brainy” and his propensity for “one-side roasting” in which seafood or meat is seared on one side and rarer on the other. Risotto "Miramonti l'Altro" and white truffle was a little heavy on salt and Parmesan, but still a noteworthy dish. A pheasant served with mushrooms and white truffle (which two different waiters bizarrely referred to as chicken) was beautifully conceived and executed. If you’re seeing a pattern here, it is because white truffles are in season, and Leville has adopted three different tasting menus focused on the luxury ingredient. A signature dessert is the “Gelato Miramonti”, a silky, creamy ambrosia that comes borne aloft on a silver platter and is dolloped into a martini glass with a splash of strawberry coulis. Unlike at many restaurants in Hong Kong, the servers were very fine and spoke excellent English.
This is a very fine restaurant that is, along with 8 ½ Otto e Mezzo and Tosca, one of the three best Italian restaurants in the city.
10/F, The L. Place, 139 Queen’s Road Central
+852 2555-9100 Mon-Sun, 11:30am-2:30pm, 6:30pm-10:30pm
- Hong Kong
- Best Decor
- Private Dining Room 2 Private Dining Rooms: 16 seated
RECOMMENDED DISHES See All
- Crema di piselli, pane croccante e burrata di andria - Green peas cream, crispy bread, burrata
- Astice confit alla vaniglia, salsa di corallo, latte di mandorle e lemongrass - Confit lobster, vanilla and extra virgin olive oil, almond lemongrass milk
- Cotto e crudo di capesante e gamberi rossi, salsa al dragoncello e martini dry - Hokkaido sea scallops and Sicilian red prawns, cooked and raw, tarragon martini dry sauce
- Terrina di fegato grasso d’anatra selvaggia, cipolle caramellate, variazione di foie gras - Terrine, duck foie gras, wild duck, caramelized onions and variation of foie gras
- Capesante in bianco d'Alba e schiuma di tartufo bianco - Hokkaido sea scallops in white sauce, white truffle foam
- Risotto "Miramonti l'altro" e tartufo bianco d'Alba - Risotto "Miramonti l'Altro" and white truffle
- Risotto, milanese of sweetbreads, saffron, parmesan foam
- L’altro spaghetto alle vongole - Home-made spaghetti with Italian clams, confit tomatoes, pantelleria capers, seawater emulsion
- Suprema di fagiono morbido ma croccante, forestiera di sottobosco d'Alba - Tender and Crispy Pheasant Supreme, underwood mushrooms "forestiera" and white truffle
- Wagyu m7 striploin, oyster and lime mayo, beef broth, apple sorbet
- Gelato “Miramonti” - “Miramonti” ice cream