Rarely is a restaurant so consummately animated by nostalgia as is Island Tang, David Tang’s new restaurant in in the Galleria building. The gorgeously designed interior is evocative of Shanghai in the 1930s: rich wood paneling with inset mirrors, lazily whirling ceiling fans, antique crystal chandeliers, a beautiful Art Deco bar. Splashes of yellow and orange enliven the otherwise masculine design. It is a smart and sophisticated atmosphere that has few peers in Hong Kong for its ability to conjure up Old World glamour from an earlier era.
The Cantonese menu is equally ambitious: there is excellent dim sum, shark’s fin soups, a number of bird’s nest selections, seafood and roast meats. The dim sum selection is particularly commendable, with top-notch versions of steamed shrimp dumplings, steamed Shanghainese pork dumplings with crab coral and baked barbecued pork buns. The outrageously good, semi-spicy wok-fried prawns with mashed ginger, chili and crispy garlic is not to be missed. The popular roasted crispy chicken is first simmered in a savory broth before being hung, fan-dried, then deep-fried; the final result is closer to Peking Duck than chicken. There is also, naturally, real Peking Duck. The service is friendly and highly proficient.
After your meal, pay a visit to Enoteca just down the hall, a great wine store with a wide-ranging selection of large-format bottles of Chateau Mouton-Rotschild displayed in the windows.
9 Queen's Road
- Hong Kong
- Dim Sum
- Best Decor
- Best Service
- BYOB Corkage Fee: $300HKD
RECOMMENDED DISHES See All
- Signature Steamed Shrimp Dumplings
- Baked Barbecued Pork Buns
- Steamed Pork Dumplings with Mushroom
- Steamed Shainghainese Pork Dumpling with Crab Coral
- Braised Superior Shark's Fin Soup Imperial Style
- Simmered Imperial Fish Maw in Fish Broth
- Wok-fried Prawns with Mashed Ginger, Chili and Crispy Garlic
- Signature Scrambled Egg White with Imperial Bird's Nest and Crab Coral
- Braised Whole "Yoshihama" Abalone with Premiun Oyster Sauce
- Pacific Garoupa
- Signature Roasted Goose
- Signature Roasted Crispy Chicken
- Classic Peking Duck